Mexican food on a diet, especially a lower carb diet is difficult. I never realized how carbed-up Mexican food is – ha – no wonder I love it so much!
Since starting the Ideal Protein Diet I've been able to experiment with so many foods and learning how to alter my favorite recipes to be a low-carb solution.
Mexican food has been a difficult one to tackle, but my creative juices are flowing. My first Mexican food challenge was with chicken and rice. Chicken is low-carb but rice – a no-no, so Chicken Salsa Verde and Mexican Salsa Verde Rice (made from cauliflower) was born. A seriously delicious dinner with so much flavor.
Next, it was time to tackle tacos. Do I miss the corn tortilla shells? Of course, but I have to tell you – there is no lack of flavor with these tacos.
Ground turkey will make a leaner taco rather than using beef and still pack in the flavor.
Most taco seasoning has ionized salt and sugar so why not make your own? You can whip up this taco seasoning in minutes from spices already in your cabinet.
You can make tacos out of the turkey taco meat or toss into a fresh bed of greens for a taco salad, topped with tomatoes, cilantro, veggie or soy cheese, and for a different flair – drizzle Walden Farms Ranch Dressing.
- 24 oz Ground Turkey
- ½ red onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- ½ cup water
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- Romaine Lettuce
- Diced Tomato
- Soy or Veggie Cheese
- Heat pan on medium.
- Brown ground turkey.
- Add onions half way through browning to saute.
- Add garlic, celery, and bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add cilantro, taco seasoning, and water and mix well. Use water sparingly. You only need enough to keep the taco meat wet so the taco season sinks into the meat. You don't want it to be soupy.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon taco meat into lettuce wraps then top with diced tomato and veggie or soy cheese.
Get my weekly updates....it's FREE!
Never miss a post or recipe - Sign up today.