Wow wow wow! This was so fun to make and what a spin on a favorite treat. I love ice cream. It's one of my favorite foods.
Now you can have a very healthy ice cream made with your favorite protein powder. It's low carb, healthy, clean eating, Ideal Protein alternative compatible, and tastes great.
Now this version is made with almond milk which has less calories, fat and carbs than soy milk and your regular dairy milk.
The only problem with using almond milk – or any milk that isn't from a cow – is that it doesn't have much fat.
How is this a problem?
Well, when you make the ice cream it doesn't churn as creamy and when placed in the freezer it can become icy.
The best part – besides the fact that it tastes so good – is that it's unrestricted!!!
(Disclaimer for the above. I didn't figure out saturated fat, sugars, or cholesterol – only calories, fat, carbs, and protein).
Let's get to it!
You'll want to gather all of your ingredients and then throw it your high speed blender. I'm using a Vita Mix – my favorite – blender.
Start with a chocolate protein powder. I went with a sample pack I had of Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 from GNC.
Pour the powder into your blender
Add your almond milk into the blender and give it a quick whirl just to get the powder mixed in with your almond milk.
Blend it all together until thoroughly mixed and then pour into a glass bowl to place in the refrigerator to become cold. This is your ice cream base and is a thick pudding consistency.
Once it's cold – about 30 minutes – pour it into your ice cream maker. I use a Cuisinart ICE-30 ice cream maker which requires the bowl to already be turning when you pour it into the ice cream maker.
You'll want to follow your ice cream maker instructions.
Set your timer to about 25 minutes to check on it. Mine took about 35 minutes.
When it's done it will be thick, creamy, and resemble soft serve ice cream.
You can spoon it into one large container or place into individual containers which is what I did. Then you'll want to place it in the freezer to harden a bit. It's totally good just like this, but I like my ice cream more firm.
- 3 scoops of protein powder (about 30 grams)
- 3 cups of almond milk unsweetened
- 2.5 tbsp cacoa powder
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 packets of Sweet Leaf stevia
- ⅔ tsp xanthan gum
- 1.5 tsp guar gum
- Gather all of your ingredients together.
- Mix protein powder and almond milk in blender.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until completely mixed together.
- Transfer ice cream base (mixture) to a glass bowl and place in the refrigerator until cold - about 30 minutes.
- Pour ice cream base into ice cream maker and churn until thick and soft serve consistency. You can churn longer if you'd like. It's based on your preference.
- Spoon into a container or individual containers and freeze.
Get my weekly updates....it's FREE!
Never miss a post or recipe - Sign up today.