This is one of my absolute favorite soup recipes. Not only is it wholesome, full of vegetables, low carb, low fat, but it tastes wonderful and nourishes my soul.
I tend to cut my vegetables chunky style with this cabbage recipe.
Add garlic and brown until golden.
I tend to cut my vegetables as I go along adding each one to the stock pot after cutting to begin cooking.
There's nothing like baby bella mushrooms in your soup!
The smell is heavenly too. Cabbage vegetable soup is one of my favorite comfort foods and it's healthy!
This recipe makes 12 pints of soup, which is about 2 cups per pint. I like to store it in pint size mason jars so it's easy to grab and go to work and to freeze.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 6 small zucchinis, chopped
- 2 small heads of cabbage (or 1 very large head)
- 16.5 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt
- Black Pepper
- Heat oil in large stock pot.
- Lightly brown garlic in oil.
- Add celery and onions and cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms and bell pepper and remaining vegetables, chicken broth, and water.
- Bring stock pot of vegetables to a boil, stirring until completely mixed. Liquid should cover all vegetables and be soupy. This is a very forgiving recipe so if you need to add more liquid, add more chicken stock and water to your desired "soupiness".
- Mix in all of the seasonings and bay leaves and let simmer on low with a lid on the pot for about 2-3 hours. The longer it sits the better.
- Season to taste if you need to add more spice to your soup.
Get my weekly updates....it's FREE!
Never miss a post or recipe - Sign up today.