Okay, so I know most of the time I start out with some kind of blurb about how great this dish is – well – let’s not break protocol – this low carb Shepherd’s Pie is so tasty – if I do say so myself. It’s actually now one of my favorites that I will probably make each week if not every other week.
It will also freeze well so you can make easily make a head of time and place in the freezer.
I opted for individual servings so it’s easier to make sure I’m measuring out each serving equally. I found these great little ceramic crocks at a local shop and then discovered World Market sells these little gems as well. I’ll be heading over there tonight to stock up.
Not only does this dish taste A-Mazing – it’s easy and quick to put together.
While your meat is browning, chop up your vegetables and herbs. I like mine on the chunky side – a very loose chop.
You should still have time to start the cauliflower before your meat is browned. I used a bag of frozen cauliflower – but feel free to use fresh and then cook it until tender.
Heat up the cauliflower in the microwave until hot and then add to your Vita Mix blender or food processor. Add garlic, chicken broth, salt and pepper and process until smooth.
Next transfer your browned ground meat to a side dish and add your vegetables and beef broth to the same pan. Stir to pickup any brown bits from the bottom of the pan and cook until tender.
When vegetables are cooked – add back your ground meat and stir until completely mixed. Depending on how much “gravy” you want, you can add more beef broth at this point. Add a very small amount of Xanthan gum to the mixture and stir evenly to thicken the broth.
Xanthan gum is used in place of flour since it’s a natural thickener and is a low carb option.
Place your beef and vegetable mixture into your individual serving dishes or in one pan of your choice.
Then spread the mashed cauliflower on top of the meat and vegetables until even.
Place in a 350 degree oven and cook for about 20-30 minutes until bubbly.
Let it cool for about 5 minutes and then serve.
- 16 oz of ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
- 5-7 baby portabella mushrooms chopped
- ½ medium sized red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup of dice red onions
- 16 oz bag of frozen cauliflower
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¾ cup beef broth
- ⅛-1/2 tsp of Xanthan gum
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef on medium setting until cooked through.
- While ground beef is browning, chop all vegetables.
- Heat up bag of frozen cauliflower in microwave until steaming and cooked through.
- Add to Vita Mix blender or food processor and add chicken broth and 1 tsp garlic.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer ground beef to side dish then add vegetables, herbs, and ½ of beef broth to the same pan.
- Stir and pick up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan and saute vegetables and tender.
- Add back ground beef and remaining beef broth to the pan of sauteed vegetables and stir.
- Add a small amount of Xanthan gum at a time and mix throughout to thicken the beef broth like a then gravy.
- Transfer meat and vegetable mix to your baking dish(es) and then spread on mashed cauliflower until evenly coated.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes until bubbly on the sides.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes before serving.