Craving a homemade baked pie?
Rhubarb Crisp is the answer while on the Ideal Protein Diet – a mock rhubarb pie. The smell of this fresh Rhubarb Crisp baking in the oven with the Ideal Protein Maple Oatmeal as the topping is divine!
If you don’t have fresh rhubarb, try finding frozen bags of Rhubarb in your local grocery store. I found it at Whole Foods and Central Market here in Seattle, WA. I’m using frozen for this recipe. If you decide to use fresh, then you’ll want to add about 2-4 teaspoons of water to the pan to give it some liquid. You don’t need that much though or else you’ll be spooning water out of the pan at the end.
I’ve added vanilla, cinnamon, and Stevia in the Raw while it’s sauteing in the pot.
Use your favorite mini pie pan to spoon the simmered Rhubarb into. I used a total of 6 cups of frozen Rhubarb and after cooking and simmering, I was left with 4 cups of Rhubarb compote which calculates as 2/3 cup of Rhubarb compote equals 1 cup/serving of vegetables on the Ideal Protein Diet.
Mix the Ideal Protein Maple Oatmeal together with a small amount of water just to stir and top on the Rhubarb compote for browning.
The taste of sour and sweet mixed together with an oatmeal crust topping felt like Southern comfort food. Warm. Sweet. Sour.
- 6 cups frozen rhubarb
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp pure vanilla
- 13 packs of Stevia in the Raw
- dash of salt
- Ideal Protein Maple Oatmeal
- 1 oz of water
- I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
- Rhubarb Mixture (Makes more than 1 serving so you can freeze and use when needed to make a single serving):
- Heat medium size pot on medium heat.
- Add frozen rhubarb to pot and cook until tender stirring frequently.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla, salt while cooking.
- Add Stevia in the Raw when the mixture is about done cooking and stir completely.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon ⅔ cup of Rhubarb compote into single mini pie dish.
- Mix 1 pack of Ideal Protein Maple Oatmeal with 1 oz of water and stir with a fork to barely wet.
- Crumble the oatmeal mixture over the Rhubarb compote and spritz with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray so it can brown.
- Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes until top is browned and bubbling.
- Allow to sit for about 10 minutes before eating.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Get my weekly updates....it's FREE!
Never miss a post or recipe - Sign up today.